June 7, 2011

this is how it is. the announcement I've waited 6 years to make.

Know where I'm going with this?

After discussing our options with my doctor, we decided to try IVF (in vitro fertilization). In April, we finally made it through a whole cycle. I responded well to the drug protocol, the egg retrieval went well, and the embryo transfer went well, too.

the 2 embryos that were transferred
 Then we began the excruciatingly long 2 week wait before my blood test, when we would find out if it had been a success... As part of the protocol, I needed daily antibiotics to prevent an infection, and estrogen patches and  progesterone injections, to help support the lining of my uterus and the baby's potential growth. Jeremey bravely stepped up and set aside his fear of needles to inject me every night, without complaint.

Two weeks later, I went in for my blood draw, and waited to hear if my HcG levels were high (positive) or not. Those were 5 of the longest hours of my life, bar none. When my nurse called with the results, I think I held my breath the entire time. Surreally, I heard her say "The test was positive - you're pregnant!" And I believe my ever-so-eloquent response was "Really? Are you sure?" I hung up in a daze, and wandered downstairs to share the news with J, who was more appropriately enthusiastic, as I recall :)

After another long 3 weeks (including more daily progesterone injections), we went in together for my ultrasound. It was at this point we would finally discover if both of the embryos had implanted, if either of them had divided, how well any or all of them were growing, making sure anybody in there was growing inside my uterus.
our new little peanut, 5 weeks post-transfer

My doctor came in to do the ultrasound himself, and was very excited to tell us there was one healthy little sweet pea, measuring just right for our official 7 week and 3 days. Our due date was calculated to be January 3, 2012!

we got a little foot wave 'hello' as we watched...
and heard a healthy, speedy heartbeat

Armed with nothing but good news and tiny pictures, we ventured home. We took Seth out to dinner that night and told Seth he was soon to be a big brother. I wasn't sure how he would react to the news, but he couldn't stop smiling the rest of the night! I got lots of extra snuggles that night, and on the way home he turned to me and said triumphantly, "Well, Mom, it looks like all your hard work paid off!"

after Seth's orchestra concert - 8 weeks

Indeed, kiddo, indeed. So, while our journey is far from over, we are at last heading in the right direction. I still find myself holding my breath, hoping not to wake from this dream. But I think I'm slowly accepting this long awaited reality, ready to start planning and dreaming of the near future and the growth of our little family.

4 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes. TEARS.IN.MY.EYES.

    I am elated for you. Your journey... oh, your journey...

    I love what Seth said: ""Well, Mom, it looks like all your hard work paid off!"

    Amen.

    YAY FOR JANUARY babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best news! I'm so very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyond thrilled! Your embies are just beautiful. I'm sorry you won't hold one this side of heaven but so thrilled! Will be praying this child grows strong and safe!!

    It is hard work, and a crazy ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day we will look back and realize what your gift for writing has preserved. The pain, the disappointment, and the heartache now eclipsed by the thrill of seeing the gift of a new life growing day by day just under your heart. Thanks, Beth, for your courage and willingness to be vulnerable and open as you've shared your story. I'm looking forward to that wonderful day in January! Love you so much, Mom

    ReplyDelete